I’ve had a love-hate relationship with exercise for as long as I can remember.
For years I was a semi-competitive basketball player (5th grade through high school), and come those varsity years it was inevitable that I be in shape. So I was. I had a trainer and everything. No joke.
Fast forward to college, and I lost it for a while. I would go one month without exercise, and one month with. Repeat. I’m naturally skinny, so when I stop exercising I actually LOSE weight (I kid you not). Once the muscle left, I was skinnier than ever.
Fast forward to my senior year of college, and I found yoga. Yoga was great, so centering and strengthening, but there was still something missing.
And then..I went through my first major break-up.
And it changed my life.
These are the reasons why everyone should partake in this mind-blowing form of exercise:
- Duhhhh heart health. Nothing, I repeat-NOTHING works out the heart like running.
- Fight disease. There is some research that suggests that women who run are less likely to develop breast cancer. Additionally, running has been shown to strengthen the immune system!
- Runners high! There is NOTHING like the runners high. Euphoric bliss. I can’t get enough of it.
- Running is detoxing! Running helps rid your body of toxins!
- You’ll be happier. Endorphins, meeting goals, improving strength and endurance, fitter more toned body…they have all made me happier.
- Self-confidence. I don’t know what it is about running over other forms of exercise that makes me so self-loving and confident. It just does.
- Omnipotence! Okay…that might be stretching it a little bit. But hey, I feel all-mighty and powerful when I run.
Give it a go. I guarantee while it may be hard at first, you will become addicted. Don’t forget to stretch those hips!