I know, I know, I’ve been MIA for a while which I apologize for. What happens when you’re a graduating senior is that the crap amount of classes/homework/stress/overall craziness take over the interwebz world sometimes. And literally all I’ve been doing is work and sleep!
But I’m taking a breather for a 30 minute gap this Monday morning to do something for myself: write a blog post! Yay!
Productivity is hard, particularly with the rise in technology in the past few decades, as well as the overall decrease in attention spans. You all know what I’m talking about (facebook/twitter/tumblr/pinterest anyone??)
So how DO we overcome the technology challenges of the 21st century and manage to keep some sort of level of productivity??
- ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS. This is the most important one by FAR. More often then not, it is distractions, particularly technology distractions that get in the way of productivity. SO turn OFF your iPhone. I mean it. OFF. Sign out of facebook. Sign out of twitter. Sign out of email. Eliminate as many distractions as possible.
- Make use of a reward system. This works really well for me. Set a goal of working for 30 minutes (or however long is good for you) and then when you meet your goal, give yourself a reward. Note: make it a relatively healthy reward, such as chatting with a roommate, writing a quick blog post, playing an instrument, etc.
- Take healthy breaks. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend. Run. Get your mind off what you are doing at least for 5-10 minutes every 1 or 2 hours.
- Consult the quote master. Consult motivational quotes for some inspiration when your mind is spewing negative comments in your face. This will help you get back on track and think positive.
- Take responsibility. There are lots of ways to take responsibility for what you need to get done, my favorite being to tell a friend/significant other/family member your goal, and ask them to help hold you accountable.
- Prioritize and keep your personal habits in mind. What I mean by this is: if you are a morning person, do your most strenuous and time consuming work in the morning. If you are an evening person, do it in the evening. Prioritize your most important tasks and put the most effort/time into those tasks.
What do you do to stay productive?