We’ve all experienced those moments when for some reason or another, whether it be a long day at work/school, unkind words from a friend/stranger/girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse, or just waking up on the wrong side of the bed, we feel downright sluggish and crappy.
Luckily though, there are quick and easy tricks you can use to turn your day around and take control of your life.
- Chow down a raw salad (or, if your budget is tight, throw some frozen veggies to boil on the stove and eat those instead). I’ve found that raw food has a quick effect on the mood, increasing energy and vitality throughout the day.
- Light a candle. This works. Every time. Just try it!
- Get moving. Go for a walk, a jog, do a couple yoga poses…you get the point.
- Light some incense, even better if it’s a smell that you associate with good memories or feelings. Research has shown that smell is one of most powerful forces that influences memory, targeting specific areas in the brain. A quick smell of something associated with good times can send a spew of positive feelings flooding your way. My favorite is lavender incense, which I associate with peace and tranquility.
- Call a loved one. A quick chat with someone you care about and trust, even if just for 10 minutes, does wonders on the mood.
- Smile in the mirror at yourself, and then laugh. Research has shown that laughter releases those “feel good” endorphins to your brain, lifting your mood immediately.
What do you do to lift your mood?